School transfers

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (or statement of special educational need), there is a separate admissions process, find more details on the Local Offer Website.

The school admissions team coordinate school in year transfer requests for all primary and secondary schools in Hull, except for Kingswood Academy. You will need to contact Kingswood Academy directly by telephone - 01482 879 967.

If you are moving into Hull or across the city it is sometimes unavoidable to request to change schools. We try to place your child in a school as soon as possible.

You should only consider moving your child as a last resort as a change of school can have a negative impact on a childs progress.


If you want to apply for a primary to secondary school transfer, or your child is due to start primary school for September 2024 please do not use the below application form, and follow the process as outlined on the appropriately linked pages.

You should first contact your child's current school and discuss your intention to apply for an in year transfer. Once a school place is allocated we expect you to take up that place within 10 school days. If you request a start date sometime in the future we put your application on hold until nearer the time the school place is required.

If you have moved to the UK and want to apply for a school place for your child, you must check that you have a right of abode, or that the conditions of your immigration status permit you to have access to a state funded school place. It is your responsibility as the parent to check that your children have a right to study at a state funded school.

Access our online form below to apply for an in year transfer. Please note that we send your details to the Admissions Team as soon as you start completing this form. This is so that, if you do not fully complete and submit the form, we can contact you in the next few weeks to check whether the transfer is still required or if you had any issues with completing the form.

Apply for a school in year transfer

Applications for schools not in Hull

If you live in Hull you must make your application to the School Admissions Team in Hull because we coordinate all in year transfer applications for Hull residents. This applies even if the school that you prefer is in another local authority.

Applications for residents living outside of Hull

If you have not yet moved into Hull or if you live in a neighbouring authority but your preferred school is in Hull, you must first contact your own local authority. Many authorities coordinate school transfers for their residents. If your own local authority does not coordinate school in year transfer applications you should contact the admissions team on 01482 300 300 for advice.

Children with an Education, Health and Care plan

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (or statement of special educational need), there is a separate admissions process which is available via the Local Offer.

What happens next

After we have received your application we determine whether a school place can be allocated at any of your preferred schools. This will take an average of 15 school days. We will then write to you to confirm whether a place has been allocated. This may take a little longer during busy periods.


We offer you the right to appeal if we cannot place you at one of your preferred schools. An appeal form and guidance is sent to you with our letter confirming the outcome of your application.

You must return your appeal form to the Admissions Team within 20 school days. Some schools are responsible for arranging their own independent appeals. We send completed appeal forms directly to those schools on your behalf.

An independent appeal panel of three volunteers hear the appeal. They consider the -

  • school's reason for not offering a place
  • your reasons for needing a place at the school

Your appeal must be heard within 30 school days. You receive information at least ten days before the appeal date about the -

  • appeal
  • date and time 
  • location

You are informed of the outcome of the appeal in writing shortly after the appeal is heard.

Information about changes to the Admissions Appeals Regulations during the Covid-19 pandemic can be found on the Government website.

Additional information

There is a primary school and secondary school guide for parents that is available below. The guides provide information about the -

  • types of schools
  • admissions arrangements
  • other useful information

There in year coordinated scheme accessible via our downloads, which provides key details about transferring schools during the year and the process for residents living inside and outside the city.

Most schools currently use a catchment area as part of the admission arrangements.  You can see if your home is in the catchment area of your preferred school by looking at the catchment maps.

For any further information about catchment areas or maps contact the admissions team on 01482 300 300.

Fair Access

Children that have not been able to secure a school place and are not currently on the roll of a school may have a school allocated to them by the fair access panel.

School information

Information about each school can be found in the Guide for Parents, on the school website or on the Ofsted Website. Ofsted are changing the way in which they inspect and report on schools from September 2019.