Most childcare providers who care for children under 8 years old must register with the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted). They make sure that the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework is met.
The Early Years Foundation Stage Framework relates to -
- the childcare providers suitability as carers of children
- their safety of the premises and facilities
- their insurance and record keeping
Ofsted has 3 different registers for childcare providers -
- early years register
- compulsory childcare register
- voluntary childcare register
All childcare providers registered on one or all the above are inspected by Ofsted to ensure the service they provide is to the standards required. All staff are CRB checked (Criminal Records Bureau). Following their inspection, childcare providers are graded with one of the following grades -
The family information service hold information on all Ofsted registered childcare providers and the inspection grade they receive.