Council Tax charges 2020-2021

COVID-19 Service Update -

Response times -

The Council Tax Department is receiving a higher than normal volume of contact, and therefore it is taking longer than our usual 10 working day target to respond to enquiries.

We may prioritise some responses over others where those contacting the department are experiencing hardship.

We recommend that where possible people self serve online either to submit forms, or seek answers to questions they may have.

This can be done at  Where it is not possible to self serve enquries can be e-mailed to where we will endeavour to respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.


Council Tax reduction  -

Council Tax is payable in line with your new bill for 2020/21, 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we will be reducing the Council Tax bill for low-income households by up to £150.

Please be aware that this discount will be automatically applied, and a new bill will be issued to you in due course, therefore there is no need to contact us in regards to this reduction.

If however you are experiencing hardship due to COVID-19, please complete the online contact us form below, and this will be considered on a case by case basis.

This local tax enables us to raise money to provide services in Hull. Details of how your Council Tax will be spent in 2020-2021 are detailed as follows -

Visit the Humberside Police Crime and Commissioner website to find out how your Council Tax is spent
Visit the Humberside Fire and Rescue Service to learn how your Council Tax is spent

Council Tax bands

Every property in Hull is valued within one of eight council tax bands. Each band is assigned an annual Council Tax charge as follows -

Valuation band

Annual Council Tax charge for 2020-2021

A £1,160.55
B £1,353.97
C £1,547.39
D £1,740.82
E £2,127.67
F £2,514.51
G £2,901.37
H £3,481.64

The band that your property is valued at is decided by the Valuation Office. If you wish to know the -

Council Tax bands for individual properties
Contact your regional Valuation Office

To register for Council Tax

Appeal your Council Tax band

You can appeal your Council Tax band if you feel your property has been valued incorrectly. If you decide to appeal you must continue to pay your Council Tax bill as normal until a decision is made by the Valuation Office.

Appeal your Council Tax band


Only one bill is sent to a home, regardless of how many people live there.

The person in your home who fits one of the descriptions below is the person liable for Council Tax -

  • a resident freeholder (for example, an owner-occupier)
  • a resident leaseholder (for example, an assured tenant)
  • a resident statutory or secure tenant
  • a resident licensee
  • a resident
  • the owner (where there are no residents)

If the description fits more than one person, then each person is jointly and severally liable. This means that any one of them, or all of them, can be required to pay the full amount of Council Tax. Each person is not just liable for a proportion of the tax.

However, full-time students cannot be made joint and severally liable with non-students.

There are some special cases where the above list does not apply and the owner is always liable, contact us for further details.

Council Tax discounts, disregards, exemptions and reductions

The amount of Council Tax you have to pay may be reduced if your circumstances match certain criteria -

Access further information on Council Tax discounts and disregards
Access further information on Council Tax exemptions
Access further information on Council Tax reduction