If you are on a low income and pay council tax you may be able to get a reduction on your council tax bill.
You may be entitled to a council tax reduction if you are -
- under pension age, on a low income (you may qualify even if you do not receive any other benefits) and have savings and capital less that £6,000
- of pension age, on a low income and have savings that are less than £16,000 or receive pension guarantee credit (as your income, savings and capital would have already been worked out by The Pension Service)
By pension age we mean the age when a person reaches the qualifying age for state pension credit.
For Universal Credit claimants only –
- Your reduction will be calculated periodically, with a review of the award carried out after a period of up to 6 months which takes account of changes in Universal Credit that have occurred during that period (your reduction can be reviewed earlier if you report a change in your Universal Credit, which you consider will have a significant effect on your reduction).
- Where requested, a reduction can be backdated unconditionally for up to 6 months as long as Universal Credit has been awarded during this period
- A new claim for a reduction will not be required unless your claim has been terminated following a period of 6 consecutive months where you have not had a Universal Credit payment.
With your consent third parties, such as an appointee,can be told information and contacted about your claim.
Visit our third party page for more information.
Sharing information with your landlord
With your permission we can share information with your landlord. They might help us deal with your application more quickly.
More information about sharing information with your landlord can be found here
The council has discretionary powers to reduce the amount of the council tax bill. If a person is experiencing severe financial hardship and is having difficulty paying their council tax, a separate application is required .
If you would like to know how much reduction you may be able to receive or help with budgeting , visit our benefit calculator and budgeting tools.