Creative Voice engages young people aged 13 to 19 years across the city, in youth centres and arts organisations such as Kingston Youth Centre and Hull New Theatre. These activities are free or low cost.
You can take part in -
- creative workshops in music, dance, theatre and visual arts (available as either taster sessions or progression workshops)
- perform at events
- work towards an art award
- have your say in youth arts development
Creative Voice offers young people the chance to take part in different dance styles and work towards local and regional youth dance platforms.
Hull Dance Youth Company are based at Horncastle Building, Hull College and meet weekly. Young people audition in September and commit to creating work for performance at Creative Voice Dance and Fresh, the regional platform. The Company work with Hull DAnce Prize winner Carla Morrill.
Dance sessions also run at youth centres. Contemporary dance is at Ainthorpe Youth Centre and street dance is at Route One and Astra youth centres.
Youth Movement operates as masterclass and experience workshops, with young people able to access monthly classes via Creative Voice and Hull and East Riding Dance Hub progression routes. It is in partnership with National Youth Dance Company who are based at Sadlers Wells, London. Young people are able to -
- take part in masterclass workshops in different dance styles
- work with young dancers from the country
- be inspired by nationally renowned choreographers
Weekly rock and pop music sessions take place at a variety of youth centres including -
- Access Rock at Kingston Youth Centre
- Mad About Music at Kingston Wesley Church
- MCing at Hut Youth Centre
Music projects are developed in partnership with Music 4U. Music 4U is a youth music funded project coordinated by Early Music Centre in York in partnership with Hull, East Riding and York Councils. It aims to engage young people in inclusive music making activity.
Visual arts, creative writing and performing arts
Creative Voice works in partnership with Bransholme Community Arts Enterprise to host Creative Club. It is an inclusive session for young people who are aged 15 to 26 years, interested and committed to the arts. Visual arts sessions run weekly with once a month Saturday masterclasses in dance.
Young people meet monthly to develop their poetry and creative writing in partnership with Humber Mouth Literature Festival and The Writing Squad. It is for 16 to 20 year olds interested in working with professionals to become an even better writer. There is also the opportunity to create an event for Humber Mouth such as something to read out or have someone else perform, a film and show or a sound piece. Anything a festival audience may enjoy.
Hull New Theatre
Creative Voice also runs masterclass workshops in performing arts during school holiday times with Hull New Theatre and Freedom Road Creative Arts, building towards the Youth Arts Festival in October half term.
Platforms and exhibitions
Join a creative workshop and you could become involved in one of our Creative Voice performance events which celebrate, promote and showcase young artistic talent in Hull. Events include -
- Youth dance platform every January which also showcases companies wanting to apply to the regional platform FRESH
- COOLture - a culture showcase with workshops every May or June
- Hush gigs – secret gigs in unusual places
- Colours of Music - an inclusive orchestra held every July in partnership with Spin Off Productions
- Youth Arts Festival – October half term – workshops and performances
For further information email email@example.com
Access information about our future performances by visiting the What's On in Hull guide.