You can only make a claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following applies to you -
- you are single and of State Pension age, or a couple where both of you have reached State Pension age
Find out when you will reach Pension age on Gov.UK website
- you are a Mixed couple and currently receive Pension credits as a couple
- you have been placed in temporary accommodation by the council
- you live in accommodation where you receive care, support and supervision and it is a condition of you living in your home
- your Income Support. Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Housing Benefit has the Severe Disability Premium within the assessment or did so within the last month
If none of the above apply, you will need to claim Universal Credits for help with your Housing costs.
If one of the above applies you must also be on a low income and have less than £16,000 in savings or receive Pension Guaranteed Credit to make a new claim for Housing Benefit.
If you are applying for or already receiving Universal Credit you will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Reduction.
Sharing information with your landlord
With your permission we can share information with your landlord. This might help us deal with your application more quickly.
Payments of Housing Benefit normally start from the Monday after you make a claim.
If you are single, or a couple where both of you have reached pension age, backdates are automatically considered when you submit your application.
If you are of working age the maximum period is one month.
To apply you need to put the request in writing. Your request should -
- show the date you want your benefit to start from
- give as much detail as possible stating the reasons why you are requesting a back date and also why you did not claim earlier
- include any supporting evidence
If you would like to know how much benefit you may be able to receive or help with budgeting, visit our benefit calculator and budgeting tools.
Have you registered?
Registering for a myAccount gives you access to a wide variety of council services online from managing your Council Tax account to requesting a Bulky Waste collection.
You will also need to register for a myAccount if you are a landlord and wish to access the My Revenues and Benefits system, to check your payment history or any upcoming payments.