Housing Benefit Change of Circumstances

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you must also report your change to the DWP.

If you have made an application or are receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, by law you must tell us of any changes as soon as possible. This includes any changes to your income, household make up, capital, address, rent or Council Tax.

If you do not report a change of your circumstances you could receive the wrong amount of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction. If you receive too much you have to pay this back and further action may be taken against you.

Please note: People of working age that are claiming both Council Tax Reduction and Universal Credit will be calculated (reviewed) periodically after a period of up to 6 months. The review will take into account any changes in Universal Credit that have been reported to the council by the Department of Work and Pensions.

Your Council Tax Reduction calculation will remain unchanged until either the review is carried out or you request an earlier review by reporting a change to us which you consider will have a significant effect on the amount of Council Tax Reduction you are awarded.

How to tell us about any changes

You can tell us about any changes of circumstances by -

  • Completing the form below if you wish to notify us of a change to your Housing Benefits
  • customers can photograph their proofs and then email them to Benefitssr@hullcc.gov.uk  Please include your Case reference, name and address within your email.
  • visiting one of our customer service centres or information points

Find your nearest customer service centre or information point

  • sending a letter with as much information as possible along with any supporting proofs to our freepost address

Revenues and Benefits
Hull City Council
PO Box 15

Starting work - extended payment

If you or your partner are receiving housing benefit and/or council tax reduction start work and -

  • the job will last for five weeks or more
  • you have not reached pension age and have been getting income support, income-based jobseekers allowance, severe disablement allowance, incapacity benefit or employment and support allowance (income related) continuously for 26 weeks
  • you are liable to pay rent and council tax for at least four weeks

You will qualify for four extra weeks of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction at the same amount awarded to you before you started work. This is known as extended payment and reduction.

More about accessing your housing benefit account

If you would like to know how much benefit you may be able to receive or help with budgeting, visit our benefit calculator and budgeting tools