Paying housing benefit overpayments

We have several convenient ways for you to pay your housing benefit overpayments.

Please enter the six digit invoice reference from the correspondence you have received. This may be found on the top right of the original invoice and on the left middle (under the heading) of the outstanding invoice reminder document.

Make a secure payment anytime with myPayments. You need - 

  • your debit or credit card 
  • an email address to be sent a receipt (optional)
  • your invoice number 

Transfers or standing orders

You can transfer a one off payment or set up regular payments from your bank or building society through online banking, telephone banking or in person.

Our bank details are -

  • Sort code: 62-11-79
  • Account number: 00000000 (eight zeros)

You need to quote -

  • 0000 0100 0000 followed by your six digit reference number


You can pay anytime by telephone on 01482 300 300 (select option 1). Our contact centre staff are available to take payments -

  • Monday to Friday, 8am - 7pm
  • Saturdays, 9am - 1pm

You'll need -

  • your reference number
  • a debit or credit card
  • your invoice number 

In person

You can pay by debit or credit card at any of our customer service centres. Some also take cash or cheque.

Find out more about our customer service centres

If you have a swipecard, you can pay your housing benefit overpayments at any -

Find out how to request a swipecard


Make your cheque or postal order payable to - Kingston upon Hull City Council - and write your reference number on the back. Send it to -

Hull City Council
Treasury Building
PO Box 15
Guildhall Road

Make sure you use the appropriate postal option so your payment arrives on time.

Debit and credit cards

We accept the following debit and credit cards -

  • Visa
  • Visa Debit
  • Visa Electron
  • Mastercard
  • Maestro

We do not accept American Express.