Children in need

This is a young person who needs extra help from someone outside their family to -

  • grow
  • learn
  • be healthy
  • stay safe
  • get support from friends and adults when they need it

A child in need is less likely to develop to their full potential or be healthy without help and they might -

  • have a disability 
  • be or have been abused
  • have a mental health problem
  • be taking care of someone else

If we think you need help from us, we make sure you get all the support you need so that your life can get better or so that things do not get worse for you.

We provide a wide range of services for children in need and their families. We help and support families in many different circumstances, such as  -

  • families who are having difficulties with their children
  • children in trouble with the law
  • disabled children
  • children who need protection from abuse

At times we work with other organisation's, such as Health and Education, to make sure children and families receive the best possible service.

Here are some of the different services which we provide - 

Early Help and Safeguarding Hub (EHASH)

This is a centralised service for all concerns regarding children and young people. EHASH provides professionals and members of the public with advice, information and support about services for children and young people who are vulnerable and at risk.

Dedicated qualified telephone operators will take referrals or, were appropriate, will offer support, advice and information to other agencies in helping children, young people and their families.

Any request for a new service must be made via the EHASH.  Families already receiving services can contact their locality directly.

Access worried about a child for more information

Early Help

There are six centres across the city which work with children and families who are experiencing difficulties. We recognise that difficulties can arise for many reasons and could include -

  • adolescent behaviour
  • child protection
  • parenting problems
  • anti-social behaviour
  • teenage conflict
  • domestic violence
  • stress
  • bereavement
  • bullying
  • drugs and alcohol

Social workers

Social workers provide advice and support to families in need. They can discuss problems with families and tell them about which services might be able to help them.

Family support

Family Practitioners can go into a family's home to offer advice and support. This is usually for a few hours a week.

Children Safeguarding - Locality Offices

Children and Family services meet the needs of children in Hull. Within this service there are three safeguarding and assessment locality teams who work directly with children and families.

They respond to contacts made from -

  • children
  • parents
  • carers
  • other agencies such as health and education

For children and young people who currently have an allocated social worker please contact the relevant locality team.


01482 615 075

East Locality

87 Preston Road





01482 612 900

North Locality 

McMillan Children's Centre

21 Avenue





01482 614001

West Locality

Bradbury Building
Porter Street