We can now offer appointments to register a death over the telephone.
Before we can provide this service, we need the doctor to email the Medical Cause of Death Certificate (MCCD) to our office.
If the deceased died in Hull Royal Infirmary, staff at the hospital will do this for you.
If you have been given an envelope containing the paper certificate, you can give this to your funeral director and ask them to email it to us.
You can post the medical certificate to us; however, this will delay your appointment.
When posting please ensure you add the following details, clearly on the envelope -
- name of the person who will register the death
- a contact number (and email address) for the person who will be registering the death
- the name of the funeral director
Do not book an appointment until you have been told that this information has been sent to us. You can book your appointment using the form below.
Please select the first available appointment.
To book the appointment you will need to tell us -
- the name of the person registering the death
- a telephone number for us to call them on
- if you will be using Hull Bereavement Service Affordable Cremations or the name of the funeral director you will be using
It is important that the information provided is accurate.
The registrar may need to check spellings with you and so it may be useful to have documents available so that you can refer to them when confirming details, such as the deceased’s -
- driving license
- birth certificate
- marriage certificate
- council tax
- utility bill
You will be able to purchase copies of the death certificate after the registration has been completed.
Please do not come to the Register Office, as we are unable to offer appointments or deal with enquiries on a face-to-face basis. You can contact us at email@example.com or telephone 01482 300 300.
The information below will help you prepare the answers to the questions you will be asked. If you would like a printable copy to complete prior, to registration, please download the document below.
Request a certificate
To request a certificate please use the below form -
Certificates will be posted to you as soon as they are available.
We will produce paperwork necessary for a funeral to take place and we will send this by email direct to your funeral director.
Details the registrar will require
The registrar will require the following information to be able to register a death -
- date of death
- place of death -
- name of hospital
- nursing home
- name or number of house
- street name
- village or town
- name and surname - the full name the deceased was known as at the time of death. You should find out if they were known by any other names either when they died or previously (for example, names from previous marriages or names changed by deed poll)
- maiden name - the surname of the woman before she married the first time
- date of birth - or approximate if not known
- place of birth - town and county as well as country if not born in the UK
- occupation - information on their most recent job or whether they are retired
- usual address -
- house name or number
- town and postcode of where they usually lived
- details of married partner or late partner - information about wife, husband or civil partner even if this person is deceased. Please note civil partner means they have had legal partnership – not just living together. We will need to know their full name, job and if they were retired. It is also useful to know their date of birth.