Playing Out In Hull

Playing Out In Hull allows children to play freely and safely in the street by using temporary road closures. We work with our Highways Department in order to grant a temporary play street order, which allows residents to close the street for a short period of time.

The street is manned by volunteer resident marshals,  safely allowing vehicles to slowly enter and exit the street, making sure residents can still gain vehicle access during the sessions.

The sessions normally last for one to three hours and can be as regular as suits the street - weekly or monthly for example.

Before a closure can be granted, any houses directly affected must be consulted with and any concerns are carefully considered.

How to set up a playing out event in your street

Step 1 

Contact Hull City Council to register your interest by -

Step 2

Consultation with your street.

Once you know that your street is suitable, you need to consult with any houses directly affected before a road closure can be put in place.

You must post a letter to these houses and any concerns must be considered. You should try and recruit stewards while you are speaking to residents.  They are essential for making sure the play environment is safe. 

There are documents that residents can use on the Playing Out website such as the consultation letter.

Access the Playing Out website for more information 

Step 3

Contact Network Management to apply for a temporary play street order by -

There is a simple form to fill in and return to Network Management.  Once approved, this gives you permission from Hull City Council to temporarily close the street.  Help is available to complete the form if required.

Step 4

Borrow a playing out toolkit from your local storage site. 

The toolkit includes -

  • road closure signs
  • high visibility vests
  • posters
  • skipping rope
  • street chalk