What happens to my feedback?

Please be aware that the information given on this page relates to feedback & complaints that are following the Council’s Corporate Feedback Scheme only.

Feedback or complaints regarding Adult Social Care, Children and Families, Schools, Data Protection and Freedom of Information requests, are handled differently.

Access information on how your feedback or complaint will be handled 

If you wish to submit your feedback anonymously, it will be recorded as a suggestion and no response will be provided.


Your compliments are always passed onto our staff so they know you appreciate the work they are doing.When we get a compliment we will make sure it is passed to the right people, and we will tell you when we have done this.


We welcome your suggestions as to how we can improve the services we deliver to you. If you complain about why we do things, not what we do, we will treat this as a suggestion and not a complaint.

When you make a suggestion we will -

  • make sure it reaches the right people to look at it
  • let you know when it was sent to them
  • if applicable, we will provide you with a response regarding any action we may take as a result of your suggestion.


When you make a complaint we promise to - 

  • keep you informed
  • treat you fairly
  • look into your case fully and properly
  • try to find a suitable solution wherever possible.

If this is the first time you are reporting an issue to us, we may decide to treat this as a request for service or as a concern.

You should make us aware of your complaint within 12 months of the incident happening or within 12 months from when you first became aware that you had reason for complaint. If your complaint is received later than this, we may not be able to be fully investigate it.

We provide a fair and reasonable complaint service and make it as accessible as possible. However, there are times when the frequency or type of contact from a complainant delays our consideration of their complaints, or those made by other people. If this happens then, on a case by case basis, we may decide to limit the ways that the complainant can contact us.

Please be aware, if we need more time at any stage of the process or require signed permission from the complainant if you complain on their behalf, we will tell you when we expect that we can answer in full.

Complaint - Stage One

Within three working days we will -

  • acknowledge your complaint
  • tell you if you need to follow one of our alternative complaints procedures

Within ten working days we aim to send a full response or we will - 

  • let you know if we need more information
  • advise you if you must fill in a form as you are complaining for someone else

If you remain unhappy and wish to request that your complaint moves to Stage Two, please tell us your reasons why within 28 days of your Stage One response. We will then let you know within three working days if your complaint can move to the next stage. We may not escalate complaints to the next stage if not accompanied with valid reasons or because you disagree with the outcome at Stage One.

If you are not happy when you receive your response, you have 28 days to tell us your reasons why and if you wish to progress to stage two.

Complaint - Stage Two

At stage two

  • a different person reviews your case using any additional information to help us 
  • we aim to send a full response within 20 working days
  • if you are not happy when you receive your stage two response you have 28 days to tell us if you wish to progress your complaint further

After stage two -

  • you can choose to end your complaint under our procedure
  • take steps to contact the relevant ombudsman
  • ask if a panel of our elected members can consider your complaint
  • if you are a council tenant and your complaint is about us as your landlord, you can contact a designated person to help find a solution

Request for an Elected Members Panel

A manager will assess whether your complaint is eligible for a Members Panel.

The criteria can be found in our complaints process leaflet and will be outlined in your Stage Two response -

If your request for Member Panel is successful it is normally expected that the appeal will be held within one month of the date the appeal is granted. You will be invited to state your case before the panel and can bring a friend or family member to support you. You do not have to come in person.

You are usually given the outcome at the end of the meeting.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome you may wish to contact the Local Government and Social Care ombudsman 

Visit the Local Government and Social Care ombudsman website to find out more

Designated person

A designated person can help you resolve the complaint with us or refer your case, with your permission, to the Independent Housing Ombudsman.

Your designated person can be a -

  • Local Councillor
  • Local MP
  • designated tenants complaints panel made up of local tenants who review your complaint as an independent body.

If you choose to self refer, the ombudsman will not consider your case until eight weeks after our complaints process.

Visit the Independent Housing Ombudsman website to find out more