Council Tax change in circumstances

If you have made an application for Council Tax reduction, by law you must tell us of any changes as soon as possible. This includes any changes to your household make up. If you do not report a change of your circumstances you could receive the wrong amount of Council Tax reduction. If you receive too much you have to pay this back and further action may be taken against you. 

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit and are not getting Council Tax reduction you must make a separate claim with Hull City Council.

How to tell us about any changes - 

Completing the form below 

  • visiting one of our customer service centres for access to self service or information points 

Find your nearest customer service centre or information points 

  • sending a letter with as much information as possible about the change to our freepost address


Hull City Council

PO Box 15




Starting work - extended payment 

If you or your partner are receiving Council Tax reduction and have started work or increase your hours and - 

  • the job will last for five weeks or more 
  • you have not reached pension age and have been getting income support, income-based jobseekers allowance, severe disablement allowance, incapacity benefit or employment and support allowance (income related) continuously for 26 weeks 
  • you are liable to pay council tax for at least four weeks 

You will qualify for four extra weeks of Council Tax reduction at the same amount awarded to you before you started work or increased your hours. This is known as an extended payment.