If you are on a low income and are liable to pay Council Tax you may be able to get a reduction on your Council Tax bill.
You may be entitled to a Council Tax reduction -
- of up to 80% of your council tax bill if you are under pension age, on a low income and have savings and capital less that £6,000
- of up to 100% of your council tax if you are of pension age, on a low income and have savings that are less than £16,000 or receive pension guarantee credit
- of up to 25% of your council tax bill if you are of pension age and have other adults living in your household (not a partner) who have low incomes. This help is called ‘Alternative Council Tax Reduction’ and is based on the other adult’s income
By pension age we mean the age when a person reaches the qualifying age for state pension credit.
For Universal Credit claimants only –
- your reduction will be calculated periodically, with a review of the award carried out after a period of up to 6 months which takes account of changes in Universal Credit that have occurred during that period (your reduction can be reviewed earlier if you report a change in your Universal Credit, which you consider will have a significant effect on your reduction).
- where requested, a reduction can be backdated unconditionally for up to 6 months as long as Universal Credit has been awarded during this period
- a new claim for a reduction will not be required unless your claim has been terminated following a period of 6 consecutive months where you have not had a Universal Credit payment.
If you are already in receipt of Council Tax reduction and wish to notify us of a change
With your consent third parties, such as an appointee,can be told information and contacted about your claim.
You must have already been considered for Council Tax reduction before any discretionary reduction could be awarded. The Council has discretionary powers to reduce the amount of the Council Tax bill. If you are experiencing severe financial hardship and you're having difficulty paying Council Tax, a separate application is required
If you would like to know how much reduction you may be able to receive or help with budgeting. Visit our benefit calculator and budgeting tools.