Antisocial behaviour enforcements

We can use a variety of enforcement methods to help reduce antisocial behaviour.

Neighbourhood nuisance - you don't have to put up with it


A warning is used as an early intervention to set out clear standards of behaviour. It lets the individual know that we are monitoring their behaviour and what further action can take place if their behaviour continues.

Acceptable behaviour contracts (ABCs)

An ABC is a written contract made between an individual, us and Humberside Police. The ABC sets out clear boundaries to help change the behaviour of individuals.

Parenting contracts

A parenting contract can set out what parents and local agencies (such as the Youth Justice Service) do to improve the behaviour of a child or children. The contract is a voluntary agreement made between the parents and local agencies. The contracts can be used alongside other enforcements.

Parenting orders

Parenting orders are made in a criminal court, family court or magistrates’ court  when there has been a problem with an under 16 year old’s behaviour. An order can be made when a youth offender panel refers a parent back to court for failing to attend panel meetings.

These orders place requirements on the parent or guardian and can include -

  • attending a guidance or counselling programme
  • making sure their child attends school

If the parent or guardian does not comply with the order the court can impose a fine up to £1,000 or any sentence available for a non imprisonable offence.


A range of injunctions are available for anyone aged 10 and over and can be made within hours of a complaint. An injunction prohibits the offender from engaging in conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance and can prevent them from entering specific premises or areas.

An injunction can also be made for a breach of tenancy agreement.

Public spaces protection orders

This is an order that identifies the public place and prohibits certain activities taking place in the area, by an offender, such as the consumption of alcohol. These orders last for three years. If we are satisfied that activities in a certain area are having a detrimental effect on the quality of life of residents in the local area we can issue an order.

Community protection notices (CPN)

We may issue a CPN to an offender to deal with particular, ongoing problems or nuisances which negatively affect a community’s quality of life. A notice would require an individual, business or organisation to stop doing certain things. A breach of a CPN can result in a fixed penalty notice or prosecution in court.

Tenancy enforcement

If there is evidence that a tenant has breached terms of their tenancy agreement we can take formal action to tackle the issues.

A tenancy can be demoted which means the removal of the tenant's right to buy and security of their tenancy.

In serious cases we can apply to regain possession of a property where there is antisocial behaviour associated with it. This means that a tenant could lose their tenancy and be evicted from their property.

Closure orders

We have the power to close premises for a period of up to three months where they are being used or are likely to be used to commit serious nuisance or disorder. During this period it is a criminal offence to remain in or enter the property.