Domestic noise nuisance

Noise nuisance from a domestic property

You can report a noise problem online.

Your complaint will remain confidential and we will not release your personal details.

Council property noise

If you are reporting noise from a council property this needs to be reported as antisocial behaviour.

Report noise from a council property

Commercial or industrial noise

If your complaint is about commercial or industrial noise (noise from a business) visit our industrial/commercial page.

Report noise from a commercial/industrial premises

Examples of domestic noise we can investigate are – 

  • barking dogs (and other types of animals such as parrots, chickens and cockerels)
  • behavioural noise (e.g shouting from the flat above)
  • DIY noise (it is generally accepted that noisy DIY such as hammering, drilling, sawing should be carried out between 8am and 9pm. Other types of DIY such as painting and wallpapering can be carried out outside these times)
  • loud music, including noise from parties
  • misfiring alarms from a house or motor vehicle (please contact 01482 300 300 to report misfiring alarms)
  • raised voices
  • noise in the street/highway (people shouting in the street should be reported to the antisocial behaviour team using the link below

Information on reporting antisocial behaviour

Examples of domestic noise problems we cannot investigate -

  • traffic (moving or temporarily stationary in the street)
  • aircraft (not including model aircraft)
  • demonstrations
  • noise from children playing
  • noise from banging doors

We will contact you within four working days to discuss the issue and agree on a course of action. We will then contact the person being complained about, by either letter or visit, to inform them that a complaint has been made against them.

We will not divulge details of the person who has complained against them.

This gives them the chance to stop the problem before we consider more formal action.

Formal action

For formal action to be taken we need to identify that the problem is a statutory nuisance.

For noise to be classed as a statutory nuisance it needs to be shown that it is more than irritating or annoying. It must unreasonably prevent you from enjoying normal activities in your home.

For us to identify that a complaint is a statutory nuisance we will need to gather evidence.

We are unable to make a decision only based on what you have said.

Out of hours noise

We respond to the following calls out of hours -

  • registered ongoing noise investigations
  • first time complaints of an urgent nature, for example intruder alarms from domestic and commercial premises or vehicle alarms

Telephone us on 01482 300 300 to report noise out of hours