Explosives and fireworks

Ou Trading Standards team can provide advice and enforces laws covering -

  • storage of fireworks
  • airbag inflators
  • seat belt pre-tensioners
  • nail gun cartridges

Businesses storing over a certain amount of these goods must either be registered or licensed with the local authority dependent on the amount you wish to store.

A fee is charged for registration or licensing on a sliding scale depending on the amount of the above explosives stored and to the period the licence / registration runs.

This registration / licence only permits the sale of adult fireworks during the following periods -

  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding it
  • on the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it
  • during the period beginning on 15 October and ending on 10 November
  • during the period beginning on 26 December ending on 31 December

If you wish to supply or expose for supply outside the above period you must obtain an additional licence.

You may be liable for prosecution if you fail to comply with any of the above requirements.

How to apply

Contact us on 01482 300 301 or email tradingstandardsadvicecentre@hullcc.gov.uk to request an application form.

On receipt of your application we may visit you to carry out an inspection.

This online service is currently unavailable for a temporary period.

Please telephone 01482 300 300 if you wish to access this service.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.