Japanese knotweed

Japanese Knotweed is is an invasive non-native plant (INNP) that has become a serious problem in some areas of the UK. It can spread quickly, takes over other plants and can cause damage to property. It commonly spreads vigorously by rhizomes (roots), crown (base of the stem) or stem segments if damaged or disturbed for example during garden clearance, construction work or garden waste.

To help establish whether you may have found Japanese Knotweed, or other forms of non-native invasive species -

Access the Non-Native Species Secretariat Website

It causes problems because it -

  • can force its way through concrete or brick, so can damage buildings or roads
  • grows in thick clusters, which means native plants can’t grow
  • is very difficult to get rid of
  • can result in a reduction in land values and affect the ability to get a mortgage

On your property

If you find Japanese Knotweed growing on your land, you should aim to treat the plant as early as possible to stop it from spreading and becoming a problem to neighbouring land. If your neighbouring property is owned by us please contact us as soon as possible on 01482 300 300.

It would be advisable to notify your neighbours if you believe you have Japanese Knotweed on your land, in order for them to ascertain whether it is present in their gardens. Early identification and treatment will contain the plants from further spreading. It usually takes at least three to four seasons to remove Japanese Knotweed using the appropriate weed killer. If using chemical treatments please ensure these are used safely, manufacturer's instructions are followed and appropriate PPE worn at all times.

If you are considering using any form of chemical agent and your land is adjacent or near any watercourse, contact the Environment Agency prior to any treatment taking place by calling 03708 506 506 and avoid damage to non-target plants by spraying during still dry conditions, without rain for 6 hours. If you intend to spray any chemicals on any land which is not your own, you will likely need to be an approved contractor with a National Proficiency Tests Council Certificate of Competence if spraying on land which is not your own.

If you find this is ineffective, we recommend you contact professional contractors who have access to more powerful chemicals that may reduce this period by half.

When dealing with Japanese Knotweed on your property you must not -

  • dispose of any part of the plant in your brown wheelie bin, black wheelie bin or compost bin
  • spread soil contaminated with Japanese Knotweed as this could affect a greater area
  • take it to your local household waste and recycling site
  • dump or fly-tip cuttings

Instead you must stop Japanese knotweed spreading from your land and you could face legal action and costs if you allow it to spread onto someone else’s property.

On your neighbour’s property

If you're concerned that Japanese Knotweed may be on your neighbour's land and it may spread onto your property, we recommend you first try and speak to them to make them aware of what you have found, as they might not realise there’s an issue. If your neighbouring property is owned by us please contact us as soon as possible.

If this doesn’t work, we would recommend you contact the Citizens Advice Bureau. If the issue is still not sorted out, you could consider taking legal action, for further information please visit the below -


On land around a railway

If you find Japanese Knotweed next to a railway line, embankment or station, contact Network Rail and ask them to treat the problem and confirm.

Find out how to contact Network Rail here

In a park, public land, open space or other Council land

To report Japanese Knotweed in any park, public land, open space or other form of Council land please contact us on 01482 300 300.