Abandoned and untaxed vehicles

Abandoned vehicles

We are under a legal duty to investigate and  remove vehicles from any land forming part of the highway or in the open air if they are deemed to have been unlawfully abandoned. This duty does not extend to the requirement to remove any vehicle, where the costs to do so are unreasonably high.

Abandoned vehicles will usually display the following characteristics-

  • poor vehicle condition for example damaged/missing parts/bodywork poor condition
  • stationary for a significant amount of time (more than 30 days)
  • litter present underneath or waste stored inside the vehicle
  • flat tyres/missing wheels
  • mould present inside or outside of the vehicle
  • doors unlocked/open
  • damaged/missing locks or windows
  • burnt out
  • missing number plates
  • vehicle fluids leaking on the highway for example oil, brake fluids

The above list is provided for guidance purposes only and the vehicle would not necessarily have to be displaying the full list to be considered abandoned. We are unlikely to remove a vehicle that is taxed and in good condition unless there is strong evidence to confirm the vehicle is abandoned.

Untaxed vehicles

Although we have delegated powers from the DVLA to remove untaxed vehicles, complaints of this nature are currently notified to the DVLA.

Access the GOV.UK website to report a vehicle you know is untaxed

Nuisance parking and stolen vehicles

If you wish to report your vehicle as you suspect it may have been stolen or any vehicle causing a nuisance because of the way it is parked or it causing an obstruction to highway users, please contact Humberside Police on its non-emergency number 101.

How can I report an abandoned vehicle in Hull?

Contact us on 01482 300 300.

How do I dispose of an unwanted vehicle?

Access the GOV.UK website to find your local Authorised Treatment Facilities, where your vehicle can be lawfully disposed. If you are unable to drive your vehicle to your nearest facility some will collect them from your address and may even give you some money for your vehicle.

Has the Council removed my vehicle and how do I recover it?

If your vehicle has been removed by us the registered keeper of the vehicle will be contacted at the address the vehicle is registered. If you wish to enquire whether your vehicle has been removed for being abandoned, please call 01482 300 300 alternatively you can email:


If your vehicle has been removed due to it being untaxed the registered keeper will be contacted in writing by the DVLA.

Access the GOV.UK website for further information on the release of any clamp or recovery of any vehicle removed from being untaxed.

Where is my vehicle and how do I get it back?

Vehicles removed by us will be secured in a compound for up to 28 days. If it has been removed due to being untaxed it will stay in the compound until authorisation for disposal has been given by the DVLA.

In response to us removing an abandoned vehicle, a letter will be sent to the address of the registered keeper. This will confirm-

  • how to recover the vehicle
  • information that must be provided
  • charges to be paid for the release of the vehicle
  • any enforcement action being taken by us

Access the GOV.UK wesbite for further details on charges in relation to abandoned vehicles.

Please note: If you fail to recover your vehicle and pay the charges within the periods notified we may dispose of your vehicle.

Who can recover vehicles removed by the Council?

Abandoned vehicles removed by us can be recovered by the registered keeper or owner of the vehicle. The registered keeper is the person named on the vehicle registration document (V5).