Fly tipping is a crime. We treat fly tipping very seriously and will pursue those responsible where evidence is available to identify and locate them.
If you find fly tipped waste -
- report it to us using the form below
- touch the waste - it may contain syringes, chemicals or other hazardous substances
- disturb the site - it may contain evidence to help us identify those responsible
Tell us if -
- the waste contains details of who the waste belongs to
- you can help identify those responsible
- you have any CCTV, video, photographs or dashcam footage of the persons responsible
- you can see any CCTV in the area for example local businesses and houses
What happens next
We will investigate fly tipping on public and private land.
Providing enough information is available to help identify and locate persons responsible for fly tipping (and you be willing to provide a witness statement and give evidence in court if necessary) enforcement action will be taken by us.
Fly tipping on private land
If fly tipping has taken place on private property, unfortunately it will remain the responsibility of the landowner to remove and dispose of lawfully. If we are successful in any enforcement action taken, landowners affected by fly tipping on their land may be able to recover any costs they have incurred through the courts.
If we have enough evidence to confirm who is responsible, this may result in -
- a £400 fixed penalty
- seizure of any vehicle involved with fly tipping
- prosecution, which if convicted could result in an unlimited fine
- recovery or clean-up costs for the removal and disposal of fly tipped waste
Pay a fixed penalty
It is your responsibility to -
- report fly tipping and those responsible to us
- keep your waste safe and secure on your property
- not place bagged waste by any wheelie bin, on the highway or public land
- recycle or dispose of your household waste using the free services we provide
- ensure that you only transfer waste to authorised persons if you intend to pay someone else to collect and dispose or recycle your waste