Graffiti is a crime

It can take the form of drawings, patterns, scribbles, messages or tags that are painted, written or etched on surfaces. To those whose property has been  defaced by graffiti it is nothing more than a form of vandalism that is unwelcome, distressing and difficult to remove.

Graffiti removal

You can request the removal of graffiti from the following surfaces and we will respond as quickly as possible-

  • council buildings
  • parks and open spaces
  • street furniture e.g. street lights, bollards, beacons, signs, monuments, benches, street litter bins
  • private residential property (a fee is applicable and a disclaimer must be signed prior to removal)
  • public highway (this includes footpaths)

We do not remove graffiti from the following surfaces and these should be reported to their owners- -

  • private business property
  • port authority or network rail line
  • academy schools
  • junction boxes, telephone boxes, mobile phone masts, telegraph poles
  • housing associations
  • bus shelters

What happens next

If you have requested graffiti to be removed using the online form, we will contact and update you.

If you have reported someone responsible for graffiti we will respond and update you on the progress taken if you-

  • can identify the person responsible
  • have a recording of the offence taking place
  • are willing to provide a witness statement in relation to the offense (if on the surface of your property to confirm the cost of damage that has taken place)
  • can provide an image of the graffiti you are reporting

We investigate complaints of graffiti and take enforcement action, so long as there is enough evidence to prove an offence has taken place and the person responsible can be located.

What is the law

Under the Criminal Damage Act 1971 it makes it an offence for any person to destroy, or cause damage, without lawful excuse to do so. For example murals placed on a property with the permission of the property owner is not criminal damage.

If you have evidence to help us take action against anyone responsible for graffiti this may result in - 

  • £100 fixed penalty
  • prosecution and a maximum penalty of £5,000 in addition to the recovery of any costs for repairing any damage caused

How to pay a fixed penalty 

Visit our payments page to pay your penalty charge

Your Responsibility

If you have been a victim of graffiti on your property it will remain your responsibility to remove this from the surface affected.

If this has happened to you, it is recommended you report any vandalism to your property to Humberside Police. Especially, if you have been the victim of hate crime e.g. motivated by hostility or prejudice towards that person’s age, disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or transgender identity. You can do this by calling 101 or online.

Report racist graffiti crime to Humberside Police