Illegal waste carriers

You can report an illegal waste carrier transporting or collecting rubbish within Hull.

All waste carriers have a certificate provided by the Environment Agency to say they can lawfully transport waste.

What happens next

We investigate your report and if there is evidence to identify a person as not being a registered waste carrier we take enforcement action.

Dont get caught out by illegal waste carriers

We are urging residents and businesses to ensure they comply with the law and be vigilant against illegal waste carriers. 

Illegal waste carriers will take away rubbish for a relative nominal fee. Often this is in response to-

  • cold calls
  • approaching local businesses and persons in neighbourhoods
  • through social media for example Facebook, Twitter
  • traditional advertisements within local newsagents and newspapers 

Rubbish collected in this manner is rarely disposed of in accordance with the law.

Access further information on your legal obligations and duty of care for disposing of waste

What steps to take before paying someone to take your wastes

You can check whether the person is authorised by checking any registered waste carrier's certificate you have been shown on the Environment Agency's website or by contacting the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 and asking for an 'instant waste carrier validation check'.

You should -

  • always ask to see the persons registered waste carrier's licence (not a copy) and check them out with the Enviroment Agency by calling 03708 506 506 or public register
  • ask the person to provide you with a waste transfer note (this is a document confirming who they are and where your waste will be taken and disposed 
  • always ask where your waste will be taken for disposal. If they won't tell you, or you are told it will be taken to the Council's Household Waste and Recycling Sites. Don't give the person your waste as this may be fly tipped and result in enforcement action against you. Also these sites are only provided for householders to dispose of their waste themselves and not a business. 
  • record as much details as possible of the persons you pay (this should include their name, contact number, and address if known and any business card/flyer you are given) you pay the vehicle used to remove your waste (this should include vehicle registration, colour, make and any signage on the vehicle) and keep this safe in case you are contacted by us
  • ask for a receipt from the person you pay
  • use your mobile to take pictures of your waste 
  • dispose of your household waste at our household waste and recycling centres

You should not - 

  • use any person who cold calls your property
  • use anyone who refuses to show you their original waste carrier's licence
  • assume persons who advertise in the classifieds or on a social media are legal, it remains your legal responsibility to ensure th person who you give your waste to is authorised to take your waste
  • pay the person by cash
  • give your waste to someone whose price is too good to be true, as it probably is and it could result in enforcement action and you paying a lot more than the true cost to dispose of your waste
  • give your waste to anyone if you have any concerns about them, or they refuse to tell you where it will be taken to disposed


Waste carrier registration checks

In the case of businesses, we require waste transfer notes to be provided upon request and if this fail to take place, issue a fixed penalty or pursue the matter through the courts. Businesses are responsible for the lawful disposal or recycling of your rubbish. You may be liable for prosecution if you do not check that your waste carrier is authorised to do so.

Visit the Environment Agency website to check registered waste carriers