We have powers to deal with high hedges and the planning enforcement section are responsible for dealing with complaints.
A high hedge is a line of two or more evergreen or semi evergreen trees or shrubs which are over 2m in height. Individual trees or shrubs and groups of trees do not fall within council powers.
- there is no requirement for all hedges to be reduced to a height of 2m
- permission is not required for hedges to be grown above 2m
- if you make a complaint your neighbour does not automatically have to reduce the height of the hedge. Complaints will be dealt with by considering all the available information
- deciduous trees are not subject to this legislation
- hedges cannot be removed entirely
- uninterrupted light is not guaranteed under the provisions of the legislation
- any damage to roots is a civil matter and is not dealt with by us