Council Home Permissions and Improvements

It is a condition of your tenancy agreement that you must ask for permission to make improvements to your council home to do any of the following -

Use of communal areas

  • cultivate, fence off or restrict access to any parts of the communal areas
  • build, construct or place any building or other structure in the communal areas

Gardens and driveways

  • plant any tree or plant on the premises which may grow to a height of more than two meters
  • allow any person to reside in the garden
  • fence off or enclose any part of the driveway


  • store or park a vehicle (including but not limited to cars, trailers, caravans, boats and motorcycles) on the premises, the common parts or communal areas

Storage of material and fire safety

  • keep a dangerous material or dangerous quantities of a material at the premises. Dangerous materials include (but are not limited to) compressed gas, fireworks
  • use paraffin or petrol heaters, or liquid or bottled gas heaters in the premises

Business use

  • use the premises for running or operating a business

Alterations or additions to the premises include (but are not limited to)

  • changing the structure of any building at the premises
  • undertaking work to the electrical, gas, water or drainage installations
  • the erection of a shed, pigeon loft, outbuilding or other building
  • the erection of a CB aerial, television aerial, satellite dish or other radio or telecommunications device
  • the construction of a hard standing, driveway, patio, pond or other permanent feature
  • the installation of laminate or other solid floor covering or fitted furniture
  • the application or installation of permanent textured covering or coatings (including but not limited to textured plaster and polystyrene or ceramic tiles)

Lodgers and subletting

  • secure tenancies - sublet or part with possession of part of the dwelling house
  • introductory or demoted tenancies - allow a person to reside as a lodger in the dwelling house

You will not need permission if you want to paint and decorate internal walls in your home.

You can apply for permission in writing and handing it in to a customer service centre or information point, alternatively you can also contact us Tel 01482 300 300.

We will acknowledge your request within five working days of us receiving it and we will let you know whether the work can go ahead within ten working days.

If you disagree with our decision, you can ask for a review by a second person using any further information you feel will help us make a decision.

If you have made improvements to your home you may be entitled to compensation when your tenancy comes to an end.

If you have a query regarding making in an alteration in your Council property, please complete the form below –