Mutual Exchanges

COVID-19  service update

New guidance on moving home during the Coronavirus outbreak has been issued by the Government but with strict social distancing guidelines. It has therefore been agreed that with effect from 20 July 2020, all of the ‘live’ applications that were in the system will resume. Your application will be restarted from the point it was stopped at.

A member of the housing team will contact you to ask if you are still happy to proceed with your application. We will need to ask you about your health in regards to Coronavirus to ensure that we can do our best to protect the health and wellbeing of service users, partners and staff.

At this time we are still not accepting any new Mutual Exchanges but we are preparing for the recommencement of new applications. If in the meantime, you consider your exchange to be urgent, by which you are not safe in your current accommodation, you should contact us so that we can understand your individual circumstances and provide you with appropriate advice and support.

A mutual exchange is where one tenant swaps homes with another tenant, with consent from their landlord(s).

If you are a secure council tenant then you do have the right to mutual exchange with another tenant.  This can be a a housing association or another local authority tenant. You need to complete a homesearch application form, which can take up to four weeks to register on to the computer system.

To apply for a mutual exchange you need to register with House Exchange. This is a national website which allows you to search for people who would also like to exchange their home. You can also advertise yourself to find a swap, this could be done by advertising in your local shops.

Register with House Exchange

Once you have found a person who you would like to swap with, you need to complete and return an application form which can be found in any of your local Customer Service Centre or Information Points.  Once the application is received you will be contacted by your local housing officer who discusses the process with you.

How long will it take for you to make a decision?

We must make our decision on whether the exchange can go ahead within 42 days of us receiving your 'application for a mutual exchange' form.

What happens next?

You will be contacted by us (or your landlord if you are not a Hull City Council tenant) to arrange for a viewing of your property and/or a discussion about your rent account. There are various things we need to check before we can make our decision.

If you are waiting on a response and it has been longer than 42 days please use the below to submit your query to the relevant department