Building control applications

You can submit a building control application for -

  • building notice - this is for small building works. In some cases though it is necessary to provide some plans and detail to allow the council to carry out the required checks. 
  • full plans submission - this requires fully detailed plans, specifications, calculations, other detailed supporting information.
  •  regularisation of unauthorised building works - If work has already been carried out without permission  a regularisation should be applied for

Access the LABC guide to extend your home

Hull Building Control Charge Scheme Amendment 2019

In accordance with the requirements of the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010, we give notice of its intention to amend  their existing building control charge scheme to include a revised fee structure for small domestic works. The new scheme will be introduced 1 October 2019.  A summary of our most used charges will shortly be available on this web site and, if required, a hard copy version of the complete charges scheme is available on request from the Building Control Manager.

If you would like to discuss the new scheme in more detail, or have any comments regarding the Building Control service, please contact Phil Parker, Building Control Manager, tel. 01482 300 300.

Commercial development fees are decided on an individual basis. For more information email


Access a building control application

You can access a building control application from 2000 onwards online. You need one of the following -

  • a reference number
  • address
  • postcode

Our records date back to 1 January 1995. Prior to 2000 building control records are kept at the History Centre, Worship Street, some building records may not be available.

Building control forms

Hull Building Control Supplementary Charges 

Building Control Archived Applications (over 3 years lapsed since last site inspection)

If you are selling a property that has been extended or altered, you may need to provide evidence to prospective purchasers that any relevant building work has been inspected and approved by Building Control. That evidence is in the form of a Building Regulations Completion Certificate.

Hull Building Control only issues Completion Certificates to home owners or their appointed agents such as solicitors. In cases where the Council is not told that building work has been completed, or the building is occupied without addressing outstanding Building Regulation matters, a certificate is not issued. Many home owners/builders who undertake building works fail to request a Completion Certificate and their application is archived. 

Commencing 1st December 2018 a fee will be payable to re-open archived building regulations applications for the purposes of issuing a Completion Certificate.

We regret that we will not be able to re-open archived building regulation applications deposited before 1st January 2000.

Description Charge (inc VAT)
Process request to re-open archived building control file, carry out 1 site inspection, resolve case and issue completion certificate, if applicable.     £75

Please note - if additional site inspections are required this may incur additional charges

Construction health and safety

If you are having any construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to contact a health and safety executive (HSE).

Visit the Health and Safety Executive website to find out more about construction health and safety 

Contact us

Any queries can be emailed to

Alternatively telephone 01482 300 300