Manhole covers

Most manhole covers are the responsibility of utility companies such as Yorkshire Water, Kingston Communications or Transco. Covers in the middle of the road are usually sewer manholes - Yorkshire Water is responsible for these. Other covers will often have the name of the company written on them.

Hull City Council regularly checks all adopted roads and footpaths, including manhole covers. If we find a problem with a cover, we report it to the relevant company - they are then required to respond with a certain amount of time depending on how serious the situation is.

Report a missing manhole cover

To make sure that we can respond immediately to the danger of a missing manhole cover please contact us on 01482 300 300. We will ask -

  • for a description of the manhole cover
  • the nature of the defect
  • its location

What is an adopted road?

A road that is maintained through public money, for example by the council. Some roads are owned privately, and it is the owner's responsibility to take care of them.

We do not inspect the A63/A1033 trunk road (Clive Sullivan Way, Castle Street, Garrison Road and Hedon Road) as these are currently operated by the Highways Agency and their consultants on behalf of the Department of Transport.

If you report a problem with a manhole cover to us, we will inspect it within 24 hours. The highway inspector will decide whether the utility company should take action, and will report it to them if necessary.

You can contact us directly via -

Streetscene Services 
Hull City Council
Stockholm Road Depot
Stockholm Road
Map (link opens in new window)

Tel - 01482 300 300
Text phone - 01482 300 349
Email -