Highway insurance claims

Please think carefully before making a claim. Any compensation is paid from public money and Hull City Council must protect the public funds it handles. The cost of investigating unsuccessful or fraudulent claims diverts money away from important front line services.  The majority of claims brought against Hull City Council are successfully defended. You should be aware that we check all claims to prevent fraud and your details may be shared with other organisations to carry out further checks.

The presence of a defect in the highway does not automatically mean the Council is liable to compensate you if you suffer injury or damage to your property.

Hull City Council has a duty to maintain all the highways it is responsible for.   Our highway inspection and repair regime is carried out in accordance with national agreed guidelines.

If you think the Council have failed to maintain the highway, you will have to prove this by showing that-

  • the highway has not been maintained appropriately with regard to its importance and use and was therefore dangerous;
  • that this was the direct cause of the incident and that you have suffered a loss as a result

Even if you can prove these things, we do not have to compensate you if we can demonstrate that we took all reasonable steps to ensure the highway was safe. This means that all inspections and repairs have been carried out as planned or reported.  Where we have fulfilled our duty to inspect and repair but were unaware of the defect related to your incident (usually when the defect has appeared since the last inspection and we have not been notified), we are not legally liable to pay your claim.

How to make a claim

You must complete a claim form in full, you can download claim form below

You need to include -

  •  the exact location of the incident
  • the time and date
  • weather conditions
  • direction of travel
  • by foot or vehicle
  • a sketch of the location
  • photographs if possible

and why you believe the Council is responsible. You must provide original invoices for repairs and, where possible, invoices for the original purchase of the damaged item.

We  consider your claim, look at our own evidence and, if we agree that we are liable we  make you an offer based on the value of the damaged items. If we don't agree, you are told in writing and provided with an explanation of the decision.

If you need more advice, the Citizens Advice Bureau and solicitors can help.