Road markings, signs and signals

Requesting new road markings or traffic signs.

We are responsible for the new road markings and traffic signs on the public highway.

Road markings can be advisory (for example keep clear markings) or enforceable (for example yellow lines, box junctions, stop lines).

Traffic signs can be enforceable (for example no entry, no waiting, speed limit signs and so on), give warnings, information or directions.

To request any new road markings or signs please complete the form below - 

Some new markings or signs will require a Traffic Regulation Order being made before they can be installed.

The request must first be advertised in the local newspaper and on site to allow anyone to object. Any objections are heard by the relevant area committee. If the committee overrules the objections then the Traffic Regulation Order is made and the proposals installed.

We will remove any illegal signs. We also maintain road markings, signals and signs on the public highway which have been removed, damaged, faulty or have become faded.

You can contact us via - 

Traffic services
Hull City Council
2nd floor
Earle House
Colonial Street

Traffic signal defects

All permanent traffic signals within the City boundary are operated and maintained by Hull City Council, with the exception of the following  that are maintained by Highways England - 

  • A63 Hessle Road
  • A63 Castle Street
  • A63 Rodger Millward Way
  • A1033 Hedon Road

If you wish to report a faulty traffic signal this can be done by contacting us using the below form or calling 01482 300 300 -