Trees, hedges and verges

How to report a problem

If you have a complaint or allegation regarding tree root related subsidence damage to properties from street trees or any other council owned trees please contact us. We will ask you for as many details as possible including –

  • the date the damage started or was first noticed
  • a description of the damage, preferably with a sketch and or photographs
  • copies of all relevant reports and monitoring data

Please provide an accurate as possible description of the location including street name and adjacent house number / shop name / nearby lamp post number etc. The location will then be inspected and where repairs are necessary the tree or hedge will be cut back.

What happens next

All allegations will be fully investigated and where appropriate action will be taken to prune or fell council owned trees adjacent to the building. If the building is insured it is advisable to contact the insurer who has access to relevant professionals to carry out investigations to determine the cause of damage as this can be due to several causes. If a tree or hedge is obscuring a road traffic sign please let us know.

Parking on verges

Parking on verges and the damage caused by this is fast becoming a problem in the city. Parking on and driving across verges causes damage, which is often unsightly. Please help us keep verges tidy and respect the safety of other highway users by finding somewhere else to park.

You could be prosecuted for causing damage to a verge and if you park on a verge where there are double yellow lines, you are subject to this parking restriction and could receive a parking ticket. It is also an offence to drive along the footway.


If you would like to report somebody parking or driving on a verge  please contact 01482 300 300 or email

Contact us

Highways network management

Major Projects

2nd Floor

Earls House

Colonial Street



Tel: 01482 300 300