Disability bus passes

Access to services will be limited as a result of the necessary changes and measures that will introduced as a result of coronavirus.

Bus passes and rail card services will be by appointment only.

Initially, the following libraries will reopen for appointment based services only, including a Select and Collect service -

  • Hull Central Library on Albion Street from 9.30am on Thursday 9 July
  • Bransholme Library at North Point Shopping Centre from 1.30pm on Thursday 9 July
  • Fred Moore Library on Wold Road from 10am Thursday 9 July
  • Greenwood Avenue Library on Greenwood Avenue from 2pm on Wednesday 8 July
  • Ings Library on Savoy Road from 2pm on Thursday 9 July
  • Western Library on The Boulevard from 10am on Saturday 11 July

To use the Select and Collect service call 01482 210 000 or email lending.library@hcandl.co.uk

The following libraries will initially remain closed -

  • Avenues Library in Chanterlands Avenue
  • East Park Library in East Park
  • Freedom Centre Library in Preston Road
  • Gipsyville Library in North Road
  • Longhill Library in Shannon Road
  • Waudby Library in The Waudby Centre, Annandale Road

Safety measures will be in place at Hull libraries to protect staff and service users.

If you are an adult or child aged five or over and live in Hull, you can apply if you are -

  • in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and awarded eight or more points in either of the following sections -
    • section seven - communication verbally
    • section 12 - moving around
  • in receipt of the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • have been refused a driving licence due to medical reasons (not persistent use of drugs or alcohol) or would in the opinion of your medical practitioner be refused a driving licence on those grounds if you were to apply 
  • a blue badge holder
  • in receipt of war pensioner's mobility supplement 
  • registered with our social services and have one of the following cards -
    • sight impaired or severely sight impaired (previously known as partially sighted and blind) - yellow card
    • profoundly or severely deaf - white card (A Hard of Hearing (HH) individual is not eligible)
    • limbless or long term loss of use of both arms - blue card or letter from NHS limbless unit 
    • learning disability - pink card
    • without speech - grey card

If you have a green, purple, or any other coloured social services card you are not entitled to a disability bus pass.

You need to provide one type of proof from each of the following categories –

  • ID such as a valid passport, birth certificate, or driving licence
  • residency such as -  utility bill, or council tax bill, or bank statement
  • disability (dependent on eligibility) - DWP letter, or an up to date letter from the DVLA (D206 or D235), or a letter providing receipt of war pension mobility supplement, or social services card 
  • a current letter from your medical practitioner stating that your entitlement to drive has been withdrawn, refused for medical reasons or an application for a driving licence would be refused if one was applied for

A doctor's letter should also say whether the condition is permanent or temporary and state the expected duration. A doctor is likely to charge you for this letter and it should only be obtained if the criteria is met -

  • if you are from an EU member state and are a permanent resident of Hull, you also need to provide proof  of nationality and permanent residency in Hull
  • if you are a non EU resident, you need to provide a letter from the Home Office that proves you have been granted -
    • permanent UK residency
    • indefinite leave to remain
    • indefinite leave to enter
    • biometric residents permit

You do not need to provide a photograph as this is taken at the library.


If your bus pass is about to expire you can visit one of the issuing libraries up to 10 working days before the date of expiry to apply for your renewal. You need to provide proof of residency and disability for the renewal to be processed.

Lost or stolen bus passes

If your bus pass becomes lost or stolen visit one of the issuing libraries as soon as possible for a replacement. For a replacement you need to provide proof of identity but you do not need to provide proof of residency or disability if these details have not changed.

Conditions of use

All travel passes including your disability railcard also have the following conditions of use -

  • concessionary travel passes are only available to people who have their only or main residence in Hull
  • the travel pass is not transferable and may only be used by the person it is issued to
  • possession of a travel pass does not guarantee any person the right to a place or seat on any particular passenger service vehicle
  • all passengers traveling at concessionary fares are subject to the conditions of the operators. They may be asked to show proof of eligibility at any time on a journey
  • we accept no liability for any loss, injury or inconvenience incurred as a  result of using a travel pass

Travel passes are not valid on services on which the majority of seats can be reserved in advance of travel -

  • that do not run for a period of at least six consecutive weeks
  • that are operated primarily for their historical interest or for tourism
  • rail replacement services
  • services where the fare charged by the operator has a special amenity element

You may be eligible for a +C bus pass