Immediate financial help

If you need immediate financial help, you may be entitled to emergency support from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or us. 

Short Term Advances 

This is an application to have an advance on your benefits, this may be when you have made a new claim and encounter a period of financial need.  A short term advance will then be claimed back from your future benefits. 

Access GOV.UK for more information

Budgeting Loan 

You could get a budgeting loan to help pay for essential things such as - 

  • rent
  • furniture
  • clothes 
  • hire purchase debts.

For more information and how to apply visit GOV.UK 

Hardship Payments 

Hardship payments are administered by the DWP and are reduced payments of Job seekers Allowance (income based) and Universal Credit that are made to vulnerable people who have not followed the normal qualifying rules.

To make a claim and for more information visit GOV.UK 

If you have tried to apply to DWP for the above you can apply for one of the following. 

Community Crisis Loans 

Community Crisis Loans (CCL) are part of our local assistance scheme. CCLs are intended for applicants who are unable to meet their immediate short term needs either in a crisis in relation to some expenses or as a consequence of a disaster. For more information and how to apply visit our page.

Access our page

Community Support Grant

Community Support Grants (CSG) are part of the local assistance scheme. CSGs are intended to help vulnerable applicants live as independent a life as possible in the community. They can provide financial assistance for items such as -

  • furniture or furnishings
  • minor repairs and redecoration
  • white goods
  • certain traveling expenses 
  • clothing

Access our page for more information

Food banks and parcels 

If you are in need of food there are a number of services that may be able to assist you. 

Hull Food bank

To access Hull Food bank a voucher must be obtained from Citizens Advice first, between 9am and 12 noon. You will be assessed by an advisor and you are not guaranteed a food parcel or voucher. 

For more information access Citizens Advice

Salvation Army 

The Salvation Army can provide you support with food parcels, a hot meal and clothing. The Wilson Centre may be able to provide you with a letter of referral. Food parcels and hot meals are limited and a possession of a referral letter does not guarantee assistance.  

For more information access Salvation Army

Open Doors 

A letter of referral is required to request a food parcel. Open doors provide support for the below -

  • asylum seekers
  • refugees 
  • migrant workers

Open Doors hold a weekly drop in session every Thursday between 10am and 2pm, or you can call 01482 342 567. 

For more information visit Open Doors Hull

More Support 

British Red Cross 

The British Red Cross can help people in crisis in a number of different ways.

Access The British Red Cross for more information

Citizens Advice 

Citizens Advice can give you general advice if you need immediate help. Citizens Advice can provide you with information on the following -

  • debt
  • housing
  • benefit 
  • employment
  • immigration 
  • family law

Help Through Crisis is a Citizens Advice project which aims to help vulnerable people who are facing a hardship crisis, such as a financial crisis or needing advice to solve a problem on benefits and housing.

To make a referral or find out more, email -

For more information visit Citizens Advice

Discretionary Housing Payment 

Discretionary Housing Payments help people who need extra help with their rent when Housing Benefit or the housing cost element of Universal Credit does not meet the full value of their rent (or to secure a tenancy). If you are suffering severe financial hardship as a result, or your tenancy is at risk you may be able to get a discretionary payment to help towards these payments. 

Access our page on DHP

Free School Meals

You may be able to claim free school meals for primary and secondary schools.

For more information access our page