Free school meals

You can apply for free school meals if your child attends a Hull school or sixth form on a full-time basis (this includes Hull College 14-16 direct entry, academies and free schools). To do so by register on the My School Portal and complete the online form. You must be in receipt of one of the following benefits -

  • income support
  • income based jobseeker's allowance
  • income related employment and support allowance (ESA – IR)
  • universal credit if the household is earning less than £7,400 per year
  • asylum seekers (receiving support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999)
  • the guaranteed element of state pension credit
  • child tax credit (with an annual income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by the Inland Revenue) if also in receipt of working tax credit you will not be eligible
  • working tax credit run on - paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit

You can claim if you are over 16 years of age and are receiving one of the above qualifying benefits.

If your child is attending an East Riding school, you should apply to the East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

The Department for Education have permanently extended free school meal eligibility to children in all households with no recourse to public funds (NRPF), subject to maximum income thresholds.

To apply under the extended criteria, you must complete and submit an additional NRPF form with the supporting evidence to verify your NRPF status and income. This can be uploaded with your portal application.

For more information about providing free school meals to families with no recourse to public funds visit GOV.UK.

Register for My School Portal

You will be notified of the decision by letter within 7 days and the school will be notified electronically if approved.

Free school meals vouchers during school holidays will be provided by the school that the child attends. 

If you have not received this, you would need to speak to the school directly.