Self employed

How your self employed income will be assessed

To assess your weekly income after tax and national insurance we consider your -

  • business related income and expenses and any pension contributions
  • savings
  • partner's income
  • income from any other source 

If you are applying for or are already receiving Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Reduction we have to calculate your average weekly income. What you have to submit for us to do this depends on how long you have been trading.

If you have been trading for - 

  • less than six months (26 weeks) complete a self employed projection of earnings form
  • six - twelve months (25 - 52 weeks) complete the Income and Expenses form covering the full period you have been trading
  • more than one year (52 weeks or more) complete an Income and Expenses form covering your last 52 weeks of trading 

If you have more than one business, you have to complete the appropriate form for each business.

Important - you may have to supply proofs of your business receipts and expenses, we write to you if this information is needed. For example - 

  • day books 
  • petrol receipts
  • invoices
  • certified accounts


Self employed childminders

If you are a self employed childminder you do not need to submit your business expenses with your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction claim. When we calculate your entitlement to benefit we automatically disregard one third of your income amount to allow for payment of income tax, national insurance and half of any applicable pension payments