Third parties and appointees

Third party

If you are enquiring about a third party for any other service area please put in writing to the relevant department.

You can request a third party to help you fill in your Housing Benefit application form. If you give consent third parties can also be told agreed information and contacted for information on your behalf to help process your claim quicker.

A third party can be a - 

  • relative
  • friend
  • housing officer
  • landlord
  • welfare support officer

If you would like to give us consent to contact and inform a third party please fill in and return the form below.


Sharing information with your private landlord or their agent could help us to deal with you Housing Benefit application quicker.

The law requires that we let your landlord know or their agent of certain decisions we make about your Housing Benefit, such as, when a decision is made to pay your Housing Benefit directly to them. Under Data Protection Legislation we need your permission to discuss anything else.

If you give us permission we can tell your landlord if -

  • you have applied or are receiving Housing Benefit
  • we have made a decision
  • more information is required to make a decision and what that information might be

We do not give your landlord any information about your -

  • personal or household circumstances
  • financial circumstances

Complete and return the form below to give us your permission to share information with your landlord. You can withdraw your permission at any time by contacting us.


A friend, relative or professional who is 18 and over can be chosen as an appointee to act on behalf of you or someone you know, if it is not possible for the person you know to deal with day to day affairs. An appointee takes over all rights and responsibilities in relation to a Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax claim and will be responsible for -

  • making the claim
  • notifying us of any relevant changes in the claimant's circumstances
  • the repayment of any overpaid Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax reduction

To request an appointee form contact 01482 300 303.