Accidents at work

Reporting an accident at work

Under RIDDOR the law requires certain work-related injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences to be reported by an employer to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

What needs to be reported?

  • death or specified injuries to an employee or a self-employed person working on your premises
  • death or hospitalisation of a member of the public
  • disease suffered by an employee that is related to work activities
  • dangerous occurrences that does not result in a reportable injury but which clearly could have done (near misses)
  • over seven day injury (not counting the day on which it happened) to an employee or a self-employed person working on your premises. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident.
  • gas incidents

How to report accidents at work

This is most easily done by reporting online.

Report an accident to the Health and Safety Executive


Alternatively, for fatal accidents or accidents resulting in specified injuries to workers only, you can phone 0345 300 9923.


There is no longer a paper form for RIDDOR reporting, however should it be essential for you to submit a report by post, please send it to: 

RIDDOR Reports
Health and Safety Executive
Redgrave Court
Merton Road
L20 7HS

What happens next

  • the HSE will notify us about an accident
  • we will then make an assessment as to whether further investigation is necessary.
  • if a decision is made to investigate, authorised Health and Safety Officers may contact the injured person, visit the workplace, take witness statements etc. 
  • when we consider we have sufficient information, we will make an assessment as to the most appropriate course of action having regard to national guidance and our enforcement policy. This action may include informal action, service of a Notice and/or Prosecution.
  • we may also take action during the investigation if necessary. 

Reporting a concern that is not notifiable under RIDDOR

To raise a concern that is not notifiable under RIDDOR, you can contact us in the following ways: 

By email –