Discounts and disregards

When we look at the number of adults that live in the property there are some people who, because of their circumstances, ae not counted. This means that even if two adults live at the same address, if one of the adults fall into one of the below categories you still may qualify for Council Tax discount. 

Full time students 

Spouses of overseas students

A non-British spouse or dependant of a student who is prevented by the terms of their permission to be in the UK from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits.

Foreign language assistants

If you are registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges.

18 and 19 year olds

In full time or further education.

Care workers

Those who are employed by, or have been introduced to a disabled person, by a local council, the Government or a charitable organisation. The carer must  live in the premises provided by your employer, and care for the disabled person for at least 24 hours per week and earn no more than £44 per week.


Those who provide care or support for at least 35 hours each week to someone who lives with you that has a disability, who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18. The person cared for needs to be entitled to at least one type of allowance or disablement pension.


You must not earn more than £195 gross per week.

Youth training trainees

Those aged below 25  receiving training under the youth training scheme, such as TCT, Options, Future and Next Step.

Severely mentally impaired adults

Those certified by a doctor to be suffering from severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning, which appears to be permanent, for instance Alzheimer’s disease. You also need to be entitled to at least one of a number of benefits.


Unless you are imprisoned for non-payment of fines.

Homeless hostel or night shelter residents

Members of religious communities

Such as a monastery or convent where you are dependent on them for your material needs and have no personal income or capital.

Hospital patients

Those who are permanently resident in hospital with no plans to move back to your previous home.

Residential care home, nursing home and hospice residents

If you are a permanent resident with no plans to move back to your previous home.

Visiting Forces

Members of visiting Forces and other international institutions and their dependants.

Volunteer Reserve Forces

 A person living on their own and who is a member of the Volunteer Reserve Forces, can apply for a 75 per cent council tax discount if they are enlisted for a period of 28 days or more at any one time.

Special constables 

 A special constable who is a council tax payer in Hull (jointly or severally liable) would be able to claim a 50 per cent discount on their council tax.

Care Leavers Discount

For the purposes of this discount a care leaver is a young person who left care as a result of reaching 18 years of age.  A single occupier can get a full one hundred percent discount and if they are living in a household, the liable person could get a twenty five percent discount.

For those aged 18 to 20, they should contact their social worker who will then advise the Council Tax Department.

Care Leavers who move into the City aged 18 to 20 should apply directly to the Council for the discount and provide verification of care leave status is require from the Local Authority who cared for them.

Those aged 21 to 24 years of age who wish to apply should contact their Social Worker who will then advise the Council Tax department as appropriate.

To knowingly provide false information, may result in a fine under Schedule 3 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and retrospective charges may be applied to your Council Tax account. 

It is important that if your circumstances change you must tell us as soon as possible. If you are late to inform us, we backdate any change to when it happened. 

To request any of these discounts or disregards you will need to complete a Council Tax enquiry form by accessing your Council Tax account. 20191114095202