When we look at the number of adults that live in the property there are some people who, because of their circumstances, are not counted (Disregarded). This means that even if two adults live at the same address, if one of the adults fall into one of the below categories you still may qualify for a reduction in your Council Tax if you meet the relevant qualifying conditions -
- Apprentices (not earning more than £195.00 per week before tax)
- Carers (providing care for an average of 35 hours per week)
- Full time students
- Members of religious communities
- Members of visiting forces
- Persons in Detention (includes prisoners on remand)
- People who are severely mentally impaired
- Permanent residents of hospitals/residential care homes
- School Leavers in receipt of child benefit
- Youth trainees
- single person discount
- Care Leavers Discount - a care leaver is a young person who left care as a result of reaching 18 years of age. If you are a care leaver aged 18 to 24, please contact your social worker who will then advise the Council Tax Department
Locally Defined Discounts
Volunteer Reserve Forces - a person living on their own and who is a member of the Volunteer Reserve Forces, can apply for a 75 percent council tax discount if they are enlisted for a period of 28 days or more at any one time.
A special constable - who is a council tax payer in Hull (jointly or severally liable) would be able to claim a 50 percent discount
To knowingly provide false information, may result in a fine under Schedule 3 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and retrospective charges may be applied to your Council Tax account.
It is important that if your circumstances change you must tell us as soon as possible. If you are late to inform us, we will backdate any change to when it happened.
To request any of these discounts or disregards you will need to complete a Council Tax enquiry form by accessing your Council Tax account.
To request any of these discounts or disregards you will need to complete a Council Tax enquiry form by accessing your Council Tax account via your myAccount.
If you do not have a myAccount, you can register using the blue button below.
If you have already registered for a myAccount, you can access these services by logging in using the blue button below.