Single person discount

The full Council Tax bill is based on 2 adults living in a property as their main home. If only one adult lives there as their main home, a single persons discount can be applied for. If awarded will reduce the bill by 25%.

If you receive a single person discount review form, you must complete and return it within 14 days of the date on the letter. If you do not respond, your single person discount is cancelled back to the beginning of the financial year and a revised bill issued.

If you are only away from your home -

  • for a short period
  • intend to return to your property
  • still keep your belongings in the property

it is still classed as your main residence. If all 3 points above apply. Any remaining occupiers would not be entitled to a discount.

A single occupier discount cannot be awarded for any unoccupied properties.

Complete this form if you are -

  • applying for a single person's discount
  • cancelling your reward

Apply for a Discount, Exemption or Disregard (opens in new window)

If you have been awarded a single person discount and you have had a change in your circumstances that may affect your award. You need to tell us about the change -

Report a change in circumstances

Other discounts and disregards may be available to you.

You can also access your Council Tax account and request any of these discounts via your My Council Tax account -

Access My Council Tax Account (opens in new window)