Renting, help to rent

It’s useful to know the rights and responsibilities you and your landlord (or managing agent) have when you live in a privately rented home. Make sure you have a tenancy agreement and you understand the terms. For example, your landlord has a legal obligation to put your deposit into a protection scheme.
It’s the landlord’s responsibility to maintain the property and carry out repairs, and you should speak to them when you have a problem. It’s also their responsibility to make sure the property meets safety standards.
You’re entitled to 24 hours’ notice from your landlord before they visit the property. We also run a landlord accreditation scheme to help promote good practice and standards.

Tenants’ rights and rights of occupation

It's good to know when you rent a home what your rights and responsibilities are and also what's expected of your landlord. 
You can find out more information and advice about being a private tenant on the GOV.UK and 
Shelter websites.

Homes needing repairs

It's the landlord’s responsibility to maintain the property, carry out repairs and make sure the property meets safety standards. Your landlord should give you 24 hours’ notice before visiting the property.
If your landlord has refused to carry out a repair, or they take too long to carry out repairs, you can report this to us. We can inspect the property and contact the landlord to talk about the repairs. For more information private rented housing conditions

Keeping your home warm - know your rights

We can provide help to reduce the cost of keeping warm by providing grants, advice and support, and funding may be possible for the following types of house improvements  – cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, central heating systems, boiler replacements and external wall insulation
Contact us to discuss your eligibility and for a free no obligation assessment. Or for more information energy efficiency and affordable warmth

As a tenant you have a right to live in a home that's adequately heated. All rooms (including kitchens and bathrooms) should have fixed heating which are capable of achieving an internal temperature of 18C when it's freezing outside.The heating in a property should be affordable; if not you can ask that effective energy efficiency measures are carried out. This includes providing heating that's cheaper to run as well as insulation measures to make your home warmer. For more information visit the GOV.UK website.
If your home is excessively cold, or if your landlord is refusing to carry out heating repairs, you can make a complaint to your landlord or to us..

How to protect and retrieve rent deposits

If you've paid your landlord a deposit when your tenancy started, legally they have to keep it safe. Your landlord should tell you where and how they are keeping your deposit safe.
Find out more about rent deposits on the Shelter website.

How to get accommodation in the private rented sector

Private rented homes can offer lots of different types and sizes homes in Hull.  It can be quicker to get a home that is rented privately as there are no waiting lists.  
You can find a private rented home by looking on the internet and searching for 'private landlords' or 'letting agents in Hull'. You could also visit a local letting agent for more information and homes to rent.  

Accreditation Schemes for Landlords

The Hull Accreditation Scheme is for landlords and managing agents. It is used to look for and promote good property standards, good management practices and responsible tenants. You can find out which landlords in Hull are part of the Accreditation Scheme.

There are also other websites that may help you to find a home to rent -

Help with a bond or deposit 

If you're homeless or threatened with homelessness we may be able to help you with a bond or deposit.  You can ask about this by filling in our online form 

Problems paying your rent

You might qualify for benefits to help you pay your rent; find out more about where i can get support and applying for housing benefit.
There's more about managing your money, debt and other finance matters on our help with debt and money page.

Landlord harassment and threats of illegal eviction

Harassment is anything your landlord does to deliberately disrupt your home life or make you leave your home. Harassment can also be done by someone else, such as a family member of friend of your landlord. 
Examples of harassment include -

  •  cutting off your gas, electricity or water supply
  •  violence or the threat of violence
  •  opening your mail or taking things from your home
  • harassment because of your gender, race or sexuality
  • coming into your home without your permission or without notice, or at unsocial hours

Harassment is a criminal offence and you should report this. If you think you are being harassed, write down what happened and when. You can report this to us by filling in our online form. You can find more information on GOV.UK.
Harassment can sometimes lead to your landlord making you leave your home illegally. Your landlord should always give you correct notice and follow the legal process to end your tenancy. You can find out more about landlord's making you leave your home illegally on Shelter's website, and about what we can do to deal with rogue landlords.

Dealing with issues

If you want to make a complaint about a landlord or agent, get in touch with them directly first.
If your landlord refuses to do a repair for you, get in touch with us by using our online enquiry form above. If informal action doesn’t resolve the issue we can escalate the complaint by using enforcement procedures.
If your landlord is bothering you at home or harassing you check the Shelter website for guidance or consider contacting the police.
If you’re being threatened with eviction you may also want to have a look at Shelter’s advice. They also have advice for people who have complained about the condition of their home and are subsequently being threatened with eviction.