Apply for a sex establishment licence

Sex establishments

Sex establishments are any premises, vehicle, vessel or stall used to sell large amounts of sex articles, designed to encourage and stimulate sexual activity.

Sex cinema

A sex cinema is any premises, vehicle, vessel or stall used to a significant degree for the exhibition of moving pictures, by whatever means produced, which are concerned primarily with the-

  • portrayal of, or primarily deal with or relate to, or are intended to stimulate or encourage sexual activity or acts of force or restraint which are associated with sexual activity
  • portrayal of, or primarily deal with or relate to, genital organs or urinary or excretory functions, but does not include a private dwelling where the public are not admitted

Visit the governments legislation website for full details

Sexual entertainment venues

Sexual entertainment venues are premises which provides relevant live entertainment designed to sexually stimulate the audience for the financial gain of the organiser.

Visit the governments legislation website for full details

Application process

To apply for a licence you must complete and send an application form to-

Licensing Section

 33 Witham





As well as completing an application form you must also-

  • send a copy of this application to the Chief Officer of Police, 55 Osbourne Street, Hull HU1 2NW within seven days
  • place an advertisement in the local newspaper (Hull Daily Mail) no later than seven days of making the application
  • display a notice in a conspicuous place on or near the premises for a period of 21 days

Your application will then be considered by the Licensing Committee. This usually takes place the following month after an application is made.

How to appeal if your application is refused

An applicant, at any time, before the expiration of 21 days of been notified that the application has been refused may appeal to a magistrates’ court for the relevant area.  Further to this, an appeal against the decision of a magistrates’ court may also be brought to the Crown Court. The decision of the Crown Court however, is final. For more information please contact the Licensing section.

Duration of licence

The licence cover a one-year period, or a shorter period if we believe there are grounds to shorten the licence duration.

Applicants are required to give notice if they wish to renew the licence.


Application fee (required on initial grant, non-refundable) - £2,040
Grant fee (if application approved) - £2,040
Renewal or transfer of licence - £2,040

Objections to applications for a grant, transfer, variation or renewal

  • If you want to object to an application for this type of licence (of whatever kind) you must give notice of this in writing to us, stating the grounds for objection and no later than 28 days of the application being made.

Contact us

Licensing section
Hull City Council
33 Witham 
Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 554