Apply for a premises licence

You need to apply for a premises licence if you engage in any of the following activities -

  • films. Any film exhibition unless it is to demonstrate a product, advertise goods or services, provide information, education or instruction. Or if it forms part of an exhibit at a museum or art gallery
  • indoor sporting events
  • boxing or wrestling entertainment. Indoor and outdoor
  • live or recorded music. This includes vocal or instrumental music
  • performance of dance. Morris dancing is not licensable
  • late night refreshment. The supply of hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am
  • selling or supplying alcohol. On or off sales

If you want to sell alcohol, you also need a designated premises supervisor (DPS). They must hold a personal licence.

How to apply

  • complete an application form
  • submit the fee
  • attach a plan of the premises
  • advertise a public notice in the local newspaper
  • display a notice of application on or near the premises
  • send a copy of the completed application form and plan to each Responsible Authority.

Responsible Authorities are the public bodies that must be notified of applications. They are entitled to make representations to the licensing authority in relation to the application for a grant, variation or review of a premises licence. There are currently 9 listed within the guidance.

Access our application form and guidance (opens in a new window).