Personal licence application

Every premises licensed to sell or supply alcohol must have a DPS (designated premises supervisor) named on the premises licence.

A DPS must hold a personal licence and they will be responsible for authorising the sale or supply of alcohol. It’s not necessary for everyone who sells alcohol at licensed premises to hold a personal licence.

Before applying for a personal licence you need to obtain a relevant qualification to ensure you have a good understanding of the Licensing Act 2003 and the responsibilities involved when selling alcohol.

You can also choose to become a personal licence holder if you want to apply for more than five TENs (temporary event notices) a year.

Making an application 

(You can only apply for a personal licence to the council of the area you live in and must be 18 or older)

  • complete the application form
  • provide your original qualification certificate (see guidance for details)
  • provide a DBS basic check or subject access search less than one month old
  • provide 2 passport size photographs of yourself , one endorsed as a true likeness (see guidance for details)
  • provide copies of documents demonstrating your right to work in the UK
  • enclose relevant fee
  • if the Police object to your application on the basis of preventing crime, they must serve an objection notice to the council within 14 days.  If they don’t object or withdraw their objection and the application meets all the requirements, we will grant the licence.
  • if the police do object, we must hold a hearing to consider the matter, unless all parties agree it is not necessary.

Fees and Charges

Licensing fees and charge

Change of Circumstances

A personal licence will not expire but you do have to inform us of any changes to your

  • name and or address
  • or if you have been convicted of any relevant offences, foreign offences or immigration offences since acquiring your licence.

Contact Us

Send completed applications, licence fee and relevant documents and notifications of a change in circumstance to

or you can post it to

Licensing Section,

33 Witham,


HU9 1DB.

Failure to provide the fee may delay your application.

Telephone the Licensing Section 01482 615462 for any enquiries.

Application form and guidance document