Care Leavers

What is the local offer?

All local authorities like Hull City Council have a legal duty to support young people making the transition from care to adulthood and make sure that care leavers know about all of the services and support that is available to them. The local offer is where you will find all the information you will need to access and make the best use of the support available from Hull City Council and anywhere else you can get additional support.

Just because you are leaving care, or have already left care, we haven’t stopped caring about you. We want to make sure that you feel safe and supported and know where and who to go to for advice and support.

We will continue to listen to your views to make sure the services we offer are what you need.

To be able to get the support set out in the Local Offer, you must have been in care for a period of at least 13 weeks (or periods amounting to 13 weeks) which began after age 14 and included some time after your 16th birthday. If you are not sure whether you qualify for support ask your Personal Adviser.

Coram Voice also have a handy guide to check your status here

Corporate Parenting

Hull City Council has a unique responsibility for all of the children that we look after and our care leavers. This is often called being a ‘Corporate Parent’ and we should consider you just like we would our own children. We want to provide the best possible care and support that any good parent would provide. We have worked with young people to put together a list of promises that makes clear what young people should expect form us as your corporate parents and how all the services and departments in the council should act when thinking about you.

Advice and Support from a Personal Adviser
You will be allocated a Personal Adviser from the 16-25 team. Your Personal Adviser is there to help you to prepare to live independently and to offer advice and support after you leave care. They should talk to you about what support you need and record this information in your pathway plan.
Your Personal Adviser will consider with you what extra support you may need. You might, for example, need extra support because -

  •     You have special educational needs or a disability 
  •     You are an unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child (UASC) and your immigration status is unclear
  •     You are in or leaving custody or you have had contact with the criminal justice system
  •     You are a young parent; or 
  •     You are going through a difficult time in your personal life

We will try to enable you to keep the same worker, though this will not always be possible. The amount of support that you receive from your worker will depend on what you want and your circumstances

PA to 25yrs

Following recent changes in the Law, you will be able to ask for support from your Personal Adviser up to the age of 25, whether you are in education or training or not. This will depend on your personal circumstances and your needs will be assessed to make sure you have the right support to enable you to make the transition to adulthood positively and to return to us for advice and support if you come into difficulty.

If you are under 25yrs and feel that you need support you should contact the Leaving Care team on 615650 to arrange for an appointment to complete an assessment of your needs.

Pathway Planning

Your Personal Adviser will prepare a pathway plan with you including any other important people in your life. It sets out your needs, views and future goals, and identifies exactly what support you will receive from us. We will review your pathway plan with you at least every 6 months so that it is kept up-to-date.

We are currently working on a pilot project around a digital Pathway Plan which is more interactive and accessible to you so that you can keep an eye on what is happening and let us know when you have completed some actions and want to look at some more.

The 16-25 Team

Services and support for Care Leavers in Hull are provided by the 16-25 Team.

The 16-25 Team is based at,

Kenworthy House

98-104 George Street



01482 615650

The 16-25 have a duty service based at Kenworthy House. If you need support in an emergency you should firstly contact your Personal Adviser. If you cannot contact your Personal Adviser you should contact the 16-25 Team on 01482 615650 or attend Kenworthy House and ask to speak to a duty worker.

Monday          1.30pm – 4.30

Tuesday         1.30pm – 4.30

Wednesday   1.30pm – 4.30

Thursday       1.30pm – 4.30

Friday             1.30pm – 4.00



Leaving care before turning 18

We will encourage you to stay in care until you are 18. Most young people still live at home with their families at this age. If you choose to leave care before age 18, the law says we must provide you with suitable accommodation.

Support to engage in education, employment or training

We want to make sure every young person leaving care has the support to achieve their goals in life. The law says we must provide you with assistance with expenses linked with employment, education and training. In particular -

  • we will provide you with a Higher Education (HE) bursary of at least £2,000 if you go to University
  • we will provide somewhere for you to stay during University holidays (or funding for this if you would prefer to make your own arrangements) if you are in full time HE or full time residential further education and your term time accommodation is not available.

Staying put with your foster carer

If this is what you and your foster carer(s) want, we will support you to remain with your foster carers under what is called a 'Staying Put' arrangement. This can last until you are aged 21