Worried about a child

If you are worried that a child or young person under the age of 18 is at risk of harm or needs help and support, it is important that you share this with us.

If you believe a child or young person is at immediate risk, you should contact the police on 999.

Whether you are a professional or a member of the public you should use the portal below to tell us about what you are worried about with as much detail as possible.

Members of the public

You should use the Portal below to tell us about what you are worried about with as much detail as possible.

Many people feel nervous about getting in touch because they do not want to interfere and make things worse, or get it wrong, but it is better to be wrong than to do nothing. Your action could help protect a child from being harmed.

If you are worried that by raising this concern you may be put in a difficult position, be assured that your details can remain confidential, and you can remain anonymous.

Young person wanting to request support for myself

You can request support for yourself using the portal below, email or contacting us by telephone.


If you are a professional, you must seek consent before making the online request unless to do so would place a child at risk. Your contact may not be accepted without this. We aim to make decisions regarding next steps within one working day which is why it is so important you provide as much detail as possible to ensure that families contact details are correct.

You can refer to the relevant form guidance and threshold of need document within the portal to help you make the relevant request for service.

Access the portal

If you are unable to use the portal, you can complete a request for service form and this can be emailed to EHASH@hullcc.gov.uk.

Early Help Services

You can read more about our Family Hubs and Early Help Services including the SEND Local offer that are here to help you make the right request for service.


In an emergency only or for urgent advice you can contact the Early Help and Safeguarding Hub (EHASH) or the Emergency Duty Team (out of hours) on the following telephone numbers -

  • EHASH - 01482 448 879 option 4
  • Emergency Duty Team - 01482 300 304 (Out of hours)

How the information you provide is handled

Qualified social work staff within EHASH will review the information received, check the records and, if necessary, make some additional enquiries.

This will be done within one working day and a decision will be made about the level of risk and what service would be best to help or protect the child. For further details of what will happen next, see the what might happen guidance.