Accommodation - Local offer

Care leavers should be supported to access appropriate and suitable accommodation. The local authority should include relevant information about their Staying Put policy, the support available from Housing Services and any other assistance that is available to care leavers, such as advice on maintaining a tenancy.

If you are aged over 18, your personal advisor will help you to find suitable accommodation. This might involve -

  • working with Housing Services to come up with suitable housing options for you , including supported accommodation if you are not ready or don't want to have your own tenancy
  • support to access different independent housing options including social housing (this is accommodation managed by us or a housing association)
  • advice about holding down a tenancy, including avoiding rent or Council Tax arrears, paying bills and budgeting. We know it can be very hard having your own place for the first time. We will do whatever we can to ease the pressures on you.
  • helping you to claim housing benefit/ universal credit
  • practical support with moving into and furnishing your new home
  • supporting you if you have a housing crisis, including helping if you are threatened with or lose a tenancy