Free school meals

Free School Meals provision during Lockdown three (starting 5th Jan 2021)

Children who live in Hull and are currently receiving free school meals will receive food vouchers worth £15 over the February half term week.

During term time all children eligible for free school meals who attend Hull schools are either receiving free meals at school, food parcels or supermarket vouchers via their school for those learning at home.

We will be using funding via the Winter Grant Scheme to ensure free school meal provision is continued over the February half term for all eligible children who live in Hull.

Parents living in Hull whose children attend Hull schools will be sent a text or an email asking them to choose the supermarket of their choice. Vouchers for their chosen supermarket will then be sent directly to the family ahead of half term.

If you are a parent who lives in Hull and your eligible child attends a school in East Riding, please send us an email providing - 

  • name of pupil
  • date of birth of pupil
  • postal address


We will then send you the vouchers.

For families with urgent food needs who would like referring to food banks or other charities locally, you can complete the COVID-19 Community Support Form via the below link -

Access information on COVID-19 Community Support

Your data will be shared with relevant third parties to enable them to assist you.

You can apply for free school meals if your child attends a Hull school or sixth form on a full time basis (this includes Hull College 14-16 direct entry, academies and free schools) by registering on My School Portal and completing the online form. You must be in receipt of one of the following benefits -

  • income support
  • income based jobseekers allowance
  • income related employment and support allowance (ESA – IR)
  • universal credit if the household is earning less than £7,400 per year
  • asylum seekers (receiving support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999)
  • the guaranteed element of state pension credit
  • child tax credit (with an annual income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by the Inland Revenue)
  • working tax credit run on - paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit

You can claim if you are over 16 years of age and are receiving one of the above qualifying benefits.

If your child is attending an East Riding school, you should apply to the East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

Visit the East Riding of Yorkshire Council website for information about free school meals in East Yorkshire


You will be notified of the decision by letter within seven days and the school will be notified electronically if approved.

You must notify us in writing of any changes that could affect your child’s entitlement (for example, you no longer qualify for a relevant benefit or you wish to claim for an additional child).

If this change means your child is no longer entitled, you will be sent a letter with the end date and the school will be notified automatically.