Energy Performance Certificates

All private and social landlords need to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) whenever they let a building to a new tenant. The landlord must provide an EPC free of charge to all prospective tenants as early as possible. They must provide a copy to the person who takes up the tenancy.

EPCs show the energy performance of a building. This includes the -

  • energy efficiency rating relating to running costs
  • the environmental impact rating relating to carbon dioxide emissions

Ratings are shown on a scale of A to G with A being the most efficient and G being the least efficient.

These ratings form the basis of the EPC, together with a recommendation report. The report shows how to improve the property's energy efficiency. The complete document must be given to new tenants. The recommended works do not have to be carried out, but by doing so a new EPC can be issued. This gives better ratings.

To get an EPC, landlords need to employ an accredited energy assessor. The cost of an EPC varies but should cost around £50.

EPCs are valid for 10 years and can be used as many times as needed.

An EPC is not required for properties occupied before 1 October 2008. These must continue to be occupied after that date by the same tenant. But the landlord may provide an EPC in this situation if they want to. Trading standards enforce these regulations. It is an offence to fail to provide a certificate.

Houses in multiple occupation

Houses or buildings let on a single contract to a group of unrelated people need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Where individual rooms in a house or building are let separately, an EPC is not needed. This is other than in specified circumstances.

For further details visit the GOV.UK website and access the EPC guide