Health, safety and personal injury

Health and Safety Executive

You have a legal duty to tell the Health and Safety Executive of certain types of -

  • injury
  • disease
  • dangerous occurrence

at your work.

The Health and Safety Executive will forward the details of the incident to us. We will investigate the incident. This is dependent on its nature, or if there were serious consequences.

Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), you must report the following work-related incidents to the Health and Safety Executive -

  • deaths and major injuries. These incidents must be reported without delay
  • dangerous occurrences or near misses. These incidents must be reported without delay
  • gas incidents. These incidents must be reported without delay
  • injuries to members of the public where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital. These incidents must be reported without delay
  • over 7-day injuries. These are accidents resulting in more than 7 days off work. Or if they are unable to do their normal job for more than 3 days. This includes any act of non-consensual physical violence done to a person at work. These incidents must be reported within 15 days
  • disease. These incidents must be reported as soon as a doctor notifies you of a disease

On the Health and Safety Executive site, you can find information on policies and guidance for your workplace. You can find information on subjects such as -

  • Display Screen Equipment
  • raising complaints
  • inspections and assessments

Personal injury

A personal injury can be -

  • physical injury
  • disease
  • illness
  • psychological injury

Citizens Advice can provide you with independent information and advice on the following -

  • how to make a complaint about a personal injury, including criminal injuries
  • claiming compensation
  • taking legal action

Highway insurance claims

If you wish to make a claim due to a defect in the highway.