Council tax charges

Council tax is a tax in respect of dwellings. It enables us to raise money to provide more than 400 different services to you and your family, including -

  • waste management
  • road maintenance
  • social care and support

You can find details of how your council tax contributes to the costs of -

Details of how your council tax will be spent and your council tax bill explained.

You can view details on charges for empty properties.

Council tax bands

Every property in Hull is valued within one of 8 council tax bands. Each band is assigned an annual council tax charge as follows -

Valuation band Annual charge for 2023 to 2024 Annual charge for 2024 to 2025
A £1,321.41 £1,385.81
B £1,541.65 £1,616.80
C £1,761.88 £1,847.76
D £1,982.12 £2,078.73
E £2,422.59 £2,540.66
F £2,863.07 £3,002.61
G £3,303.53 £3,464.54
H £3,964.24 £4,157.46

The band that your property is valued at is decided by the Valuation Office. You can access information on council tax bands for individual properties. If you have just moved to Hull or are moving in to a new property, you can register for council tax.

Appeal your council tax band

You can appeal your council tax band if you feel your property has been valued incorrectly. If you decide to appeal, you must continue to pay your council tax bill as normal. This is until a decision is made by the Valuation Office. When the appeal is not about a banding you can log an appeal through us.


The liability to pay council tax falls under the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and later regulations.

Only one bill is sent to a home, regardless of how many people live there.

The person in your home who fits one of the descriptions below is the person liable for council tax -

  • a resident freeholder, for example, an owner-occupier
  • a resident leaseholder, for example, an assured tenant
  • a resident statutory or secure tenant
  • a resident licensee
  • a resident
  • the owner where there are no residents

If the description fits more than one person, then each person is jointly and severally liable. This means that any one of them, or all of them, can be required to pay the full amount of council tax. Each person is not just liable for a proportion of the tax.

Full-time students cannot be made joint and severally liable with non-students.

There are some special cases where the above list does not apply and, the owner is always liable. Contact us for more details.

Information about council tax and 'freeman on the land'

Council tax discounts, disregards, exemptions, and reductions

The amount of council tax you must pay may be reduced if your circumstances match certain criteria. The below has more information on -

Council tax enquiry (opens in a new window)