Licensed animal premises advice and complaints

We will investigate complaints against pet shops and provide advice to pet shop owners or members of the public thinking of opening a pet shop.


We will investigate -

  • any reported concerns
  • complaints relating to pet shops located within the Hull boundary

Opening a pet shop

Anyone wishing to open up a pet shop where live animals are for sale must have a licence.

Licences are required by anyone who home boards dogs, provides day care for dogs or has a boarding kennel establishment. A licence is also required by anyone who breeds three or more litters in a year or breeds dogs as part of a business.

View the Animal welfare fees

Advice to owners

We can give advice to anyone who already owns a pet shop or anyone thinking of opening a pet shop.

Complete our online form and we will investigate and aim to respond to you within three working days.

Request advice or make a complaint about licensed animal premises